A restaurateur has spent more than £8,000 on improvements following a critical food hygiene inspection. The Barn at Terrington St John, near King's Lynn, was told to improve after it was found to have food past its use-by date and "inadequate" standards of cleaning...
This article highlights that when conditions deteriorate within a kitchen and poor practices are seen during a food hygiene inspection, the food hygiene rating will fall. This can have a big impact on a business as customers are increasingly aware of the national food hygiene rating scheme and are seeking out food businesses scores before they choose where to eat.
The business has clearly taken the inspectors findings very seriously and has acted to rectify them with a complete review internally. It is important to remember though that implementing good food hygiene standards does not have to cost a lot of money as if good practices are followed such as storing raw food e.g. meat and fish below cooked and ready to eat foods and cleaning as you go, poor standards can be avoided.
The owner and manager of a Chinese takeaway in Hampshire have been prosecuted for breaching food hygiene legislation. Food safety officers found dirty conditions at Panda Chinese Takeaway, in Wickham Square, with food debris, grease and dirt on surfaces and equipment. They also discovered poor drainage and structural problems with the floor, shelving and rear storage area...
The pictures in this article clearly show that poor standards were found within the food business and are below the standards expected and can put consumers at risk. The local authority has taken action in accordance with its enforcement policy and despite repeated requests, the restaurant owner and manager did not make improvements. The prosecution of both the owner and manager demonstrates that it is not just the owner who is responsible for implementing adequate standards in a food business.
Conditions such as those seen in the article can result in contamination of both foreign matter and bacteria which is a food safety issue. Implement good standards within a food business will avoid prosecution and will help to serve safe food to consumers.